St. Paul’s Churchyard
St. Paul’s churchyard is located in the compound of St Paul’s Chapel, or “The Little Chapel That Stood“, is an Episcopal chapel in Lower Manhattan, New York City. Built in 1766, it is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan. The churchyard contains about 800 gravestones, and 30 vaults lie under the churchyard and chapel. Burials in the churchyard discontinued after interments in lower Manhattan were prohibited during the first half of the 19th century, although occasional interments were made in the family vaults into the early 1900s.
Historical fact regarding St. Paul Chapel (September 11, 2001) – from Wikipedia
The rear of St. Paul’s Chapel faces the east side of the World Trade Center. After the attack on September 11, 2001, which led to the collapse of the Twin Towers, St. Paul’s Chapel was used as a place of rest and refuge for the recovery workers at the World Trade Center site.
For eight months, hundreds of volunteers worked 12-hour shifts around the clock, serving meals, making beds, counseling and praying with fire fighters, construction workers, police and others. The church survived without even a broken window. Church history declares it was spared by a miracle sycamore on the northwest corner of the property that was hit by debris.